Saturday, February 27, 2010

TSUNAMI

I groggily go to bed at 2 a.m. after watching 2/3rds of the classic thriller "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" with Don Knotts thinking to myself what I was going to do for the remainder of my Saturday. At 4 a.m. I am awakened by talking and I hear something about a tsunami heading towards Hawaii. I am so tired that I don't comprehend anything and finally my room mate tells me that we need to get ready to be evacuated if needed around 6 a.m. when the sirens will begin to sound. For the next two hours I sluggishly get ready and pack a bag to include a blanket, a pillow, a jacket, food, water, my camera, my iPod, and other necesities. Around 6:45 a.m. I walk down to the lounge with Kylie Soelberg and we find ourselves a seat on one of the few couches in front of the television. We watch the news until 7:30 a.m. then decide to go to the evacuation site or a.k.a. my room. All the people on campus were to evacuate to the 2nd floor of the Hales by 10:45 a.m. We all go to our rooms to take a nap until the tsunami arrives. I then get a text from Jarek and he invites me to go to a hill above the Laie Temple. I hesitate then decide to go because Jarek and I are in need of another adventure. I pack a lighter bag with the essentials and meet at "the bench" around 10:50 a.m. We walk over and head up a grassy hill with many other people trying to get to higher ground. As we walk through the gate to walk up the hill we read a sign that read "The Gathering Place" and both agree that this really is a gathering place. We find a grassy spot and plop down. While waiting for the tsunami to roll through town Jarek and I watch an episode of "Supernatural" and then while Jarek does homework and I take a nap in a sun. Around 2 p.m. we decide to leave the hill and walk back to campus. We arrive back on campus and I go up to my room for the remainder of the day to finish some homework and take a shower. I then go eat dinner around 5 p.m. and then go see "The Music Man" with Jarek, Jefferson Campbell, Potter, and Ali Fredrick as the players. It is phenomenal. I then come to the most critical point of the night - do I go to bed early like I had promised myself because I had only gotten 2 hours of sleep the night before or do I go to Taco Bell with Trisha Zemp, Joanna Morrill, Hannah Cash, and Jessica Crandall? After much consideration I choose to go to Taco Bell and don't end up going to bed until 12:30 a.m. This was a bad mistake because all throughout Sunday I felt like he walking dead. I could barely function. So that is the story of the "wanna be" tsunami on Saturday, February 27th!

No comments:

Post a Comment